Early Winter snow in Michigan

I recently visited Michigan for the birth of a grandchild.
 We arrived to Fall Color and woke up the next morning to an early snow.
 I had an opportunity to paint the interesting combination of fall foliage and heavy snow.  



This "plein air" was painted looking out my window.
It was only about 20 degrees out.
  The snow had stopped falling, but the skies were grey and the ground almost shadow-less.
But, the soft colors of the fall foliage peeking through intrigued me.
10" x 20 " oil on canvas panel


Another "plein air" from out a window.  
The sun came out and I furiously painted for about 45 minutes. 
 The sun is never out long in the southwest Michigan winters.
10" x 8" oil on canvas panel


This is a painting I did from a photo I snapped during one of the brief periods of sun.
 An old tree is bent over a small pond.   Many adults and children have climbed out that trunk to have their pictures taken. This spot holds many summer memories plus it looks beautiful dressed in an early winter snow.
16" x 20" oil on canvas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New at Toscana Gallery

Summer in South Haven, Michigan